Newcastle lose out on Lille defender Debuchy | Transfers | Tribal Football

Lille president Michel Seydoux has refused Newcastle’s latest offer for Mathieu Debuchy and claims the full back is now staying with the French club.

Lille president Michel Seydoux has refused Newcastle’s latest offer for Mathieu Debuchy and claims the full back is now staying with the French club.

Lille, who sold midfielder Yohan Cabaye to the Magpies for a bargain £4.8million last year, have refused to budge on their valuation.

Seydoux told L’Equipe: “I have decided that Mathieu Debuchy will remain at LOSC.

“The offer from Newcastle is definitely not at the value of the player.

“For Mathieu Debuchy to leave, it would have taken the offer to be consistent and commensurate with his replacement.

“As the conditions are not met, it is my duty to make a decision.”

 

Click here to reach the No1 destination for hard news and exciting gossip on Newcastle United

Advertisements

Appleton to lobby prospective new owners over strengthening Portsmouth squad | Premiership News | Tribal Football

Chainrai and the Pompey Supporters Trust are vying for control of the club which has eight days to avoid closure.

Chainrai and the Pompey Supporters Trust are vying for control of the club which has eight days to avoid closure.

The three senior players left at the club must leave before the 10 August for the League One club to avoid liquidation.

“I think if the three remaining senior players left then obviously I would be given the green light to move straight away and sign players,” Appleton told BBC Radio Solent.

“But I’d like to think over the next few days I would be given the opportunity to speak to Portpin [Chainrai’s company] and come up with a different solution. I am coming at it from a different perspective and that’s what I’m going to try and do.”

Pompey’s manager is desperate to get on with things.

“We’ve got a few players in on trial who are waiting for me to be given the green light so I can sign them,” he explained.

“There are certain players in there I would sign very quickly. You’ve got to give them a little bit of credit for being so patient as they are desperate to get a contract.

“Next Friday is looming and we want to be in a position where we can get on with things.”

 
The game is about opinions. Make yours heard! Join the tribalfootball.com
nation on Facebook today: Facebook.com/tribalfootball

Hertz and West Brom agree sponsorship deal | Premiership News | Tribal Football

Hertz is to sponsor West Bromwich Albion, reports SportsPro.

Hertz is to sponsor West Bromwich Albion, reports SportsPro.

The company has agreed a one-year deal to become the Baggies official car rental partner. Hertz will run promotions through West Brom’s official social media sites, while Baggies fans will be given a ten per cent discount on Hertz rentals as well as membership of its premium membership programme.

Paul Wareham, the marketing manager for Hertz UK, said: “We are delighted to have teamed up with West Bromwich Albion to offer fans fantastic discounts on Hertz rentals. We see this as a great opportunity for fans that do not have access to a vehicle over the weekend can now benefit and hire from Hertz and travel to either home or away games.”

Albion’s head of partnerships Iain Wain added: “It is especially pleasing that Hertz UK decided to work alongside our club, making us their only partnership in football for the 2012/13 season.”

 

Click here to reach the No1 destination for hard news and exciting gossip on West Bromwich Albion

Sunderland boss O’Neill relaxed as transfer deadline looms | Premiership News | Tribal Football

Martin O’Neill is remaining calm as Sunderland stall in pursuit of new recruits.

Martin O’Neill is remaining calm as Sunderland stall in pursuit of new recruits.

O’Neill says hard work is being done behind the scenes to try and bring in reinforcements, with approaches made for several players.

“I think you just have to have patience. You work on the assumption that things will happen for you,” O’Neill told the >i>Sunderland Echo.

“I’m not overly-concerned just at this moment.

“It’s not right to publicise what we’re doing at this minute. But we have made a number of bids for a number of players and we’re still waiting to hear back.

“There’s some movement afoot where we’re waiting to hear back and then on others, we’re waiting to see what our next step is, but at least we’ve got some things going on.

“Of course, I would like players to be here for the start of the season. But I’d rather get them in before the end of August than not at all.

“I remember when I was at Leicester after we got promotion and we brought in two players, Kasey Keller and Spencer Prior, two days before our first game at Roker Park. So you can settle in fine. Football is not that difficult.”

 

Click here to reach the No1 destination for hard news and exciting gossip on Sunderland

Crawley deny approaching Oldham for boss Dickov | Premiership News | Tribal Football

League One Crawley have denied they have offered the vacant manager’s job at Broadfield Stadium to Paul Dickov or Paul Pemberton.

League One Crawley have denied they have offered the vacant manager’s job at Broadfield Stadium to Paul Dickov or Paul Pemberton.

Both Oldham chief Dickov and Sheffield United academy boss Pemberton have been linked with the post.

A statement on the club’s official website read: “With regard to the appointment of a new first team manager, the club is continuing to work diligently to identify the person we feel can take the club forward as we prepare for the challenge of League One football.

“Contrary to media reports, the post has not been offered to Paul Dickov or John Pemberton.

“In the meantime, we are delighted with the work being done by Steve Coppell and Craig Brewster during pre-season and they will continue to look after first-team affairs until an appointment is made.”

 
The game is about opinions. Make yours heard! Join the tribalfootball.com
nation on Facebook today: Facebook.com/tribalfootball

Man Utd loanee Cofie pleased with Sheff Utd berth | Premiership News | Tribal Football

Sheffield United loanee John Cofie says he is happy to compete for a place in the starting XI, reports BBC Sport.

Sheffield United loanee John Cofie says he is happy to compete for a place in the starting XI, reports BBC Sport.

The 19-year-old striker joined the Blades on a season-long loan from Manchester United earlier this month.

He told BBC Radio Sheffield: “If I was to be the only striker here then I wouldn’t be motivated.

“Having competition makes you train harder and helps you develop.”

“As a striker you need to be in a team that passes the ball and creates chances and this club has excellent midfielders,” the England youth international added.

“The gaffer’s style of play really suits the way I play so I’m delighted to be here. I’m hopeful that by the time the season comes I’m fit and ready to start scoring some goals.”

 

Click here to reach the No1 destination for hard news and exciting gossip on Manchester United

Port Vale must play friendly’s behind closed doors | Premiership News | Tribal Football

League Two Port Vale must play their next two home pre-season friendly matches behind closed doors.

League Two Port Vale must play their next two home pre-season friendly matches behind closed doors.

The club’s prolonged period in administration has meant Stoke-on-Trent City Council have been unable to award the required safety certification for the Coventry and Tranmere games.

The club hope the ground will be ready for the Capital One Cup fixture against Burnley on August 14.

Club secretary, Bill Lodey, told the club’s official website: “We are simply not ready. I would like to apologise to all of our supporters, who I am certain will be bitterly disappointed.

“Our priority is to ensure that we are fully prepared for the Burnley game and that is what we are all working towards.”

 
The game is about opinions. Make yours heard! Join the tribalfootball.com
nation on Facebook today: Facebook.com/tribalfootball

Positive news for Villa skipper Petrov in his battle with leukaemia | Premiership News | Tribal Football

Aston Villa have confirmed that Bulgarian midfielder and captain Stiliyan Petrov is in remission in his fight against acute leukaemia.

Aston Villa have confirmed that Bulgarian midfielder and captain Stiliyan Petrov is in remission in his fight against acute leukaemia.

“It is with great delight that the club can confirm on behalf of our long-standing captain, Stiliyan Petrov, that Stan’s acute leukaemia is in remission,” read a club statement.

“Stan would like to take this opportunity to express his deep gratitude to the medical staff who have looked after him so well since his condition was diagnosed just over four months ago.

“He also wishes to place on record again his profound sense of appreciation for the incredible outpouring of love and support he has received from Villa fans, his team-mates and colleagues at the club, as well as football fans and many more people around the world during this period.

“He and his family have been moved by the depth of feeling stirred in so many people and he has taken great strength from it, too.

“Stan’s fight is not over. There will be further battles to overcome in the days, weeks and months ahead.

“But he would like to share with you this tremendous news now and, in time, deliver his own personal message to all of you.

“On Stan’s behalf, the club would like to thank everybody for continuing to respect Stan’s privacy and his family’s throughout his ongoing battle against acute leukaemia and for those who have raised awareness of the condition.

“Stan remains very committed to this crusade going forward.”

 

Click here to reach the No1 destination for hard news and exciting gossip on Aston Villa

Man Utd’s Ferdinand requests personal hearing over FA misconduct charges | Premiership News | Tribal Football

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has denied a Football Association charge of improper conduct following comments he made on Twitter at the end of the John Terry trial.

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has denied a Football Association charge of improper conduct following comments he made on Twitter at the end of the John Terry trial.

Ferdinand responded to a Tweet that characterised Chelsea defender Ashley Cole, who was a defence witness, as a “choc-ice”.

The term is commonly understood to mean “black on the outside, white on the inside”, and was a reference to Cole’s testimony in court.

A statement issued on the FA’s website, read: “Manchester United‘s Rio Ferdinand has denied an FA charge of improper conduct in relation to comments posted on Twitter.

“The allegation is that the player acted in a way which was improper and/or brought the game into disrepute by making comments which included a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race.

“The player has requested a personal hearing.”

 

Click here to reach the No1 destination for hard news and exciting gossip on Manchester United

EUROPA LEAGUE QUALIFYING ROUND: Liverpool ride their luck and take first leg lead | Premiership News | Tribal Football

Liverpool needed all their European experience to survive a torrid examination in Belarus before emerging with a 1-0 success over Gomel in Brendan Rodgers first competitive game in charge of the Reds.

Liverpool needed all their European experience to survive a torrid examination in Belarus before emerging with a 1-0 success over Gomel in Brendan Rodgers first competitive game in charge of the Reds.

Gomel are well into their league programme and this showed as overall they were sharper and quicker to the ball than Liverpool who were sloppy in possession and shaky at the back.

The host’s created numerous chances but paid the price on 67 minutes as Steward Downing scored a goal out of nothing. Collecting the ball some 20 yards out the former Villa winger drove a fierce shot into the net.

Moments earlier Gomel had their best chance of the game when Kozenka hit the post and Alumona, who missed a host of chances, failed to convert the rebound.

The visitor’s goal knocked the heart out of Gomel and Liverpool comfortably saw out time and will be favourites to progress in the second leg at Anfield next Thursday.

On the plus side for Liverpool Jamie Carragher made his 700th appearance for the Merseysiders and Lucas was introduced as a substitute, although Joe Cole went off injured in the first half.

Referee: Ivan Kruzliak (SLO)

Venue: Central Stadion

Attendance:

Gomel scorers:
Liverpool scorers: Downing 67

Yellow cards: Alumona (GOM), Klimovich (GOM), Henderson (LIV)

 

Click here to reach the No1 destination for hard news and exciting gossip on Liverpool